Hawaii Action for Healthy Kids
Welcome to the Hawaii Team
Action for Healthy Kids is the nation’s leading nonprofit and largest volunteer network fighting childhood obesity and undernourishment by partnering with schools to improve nutrition and physical activity to help our kids learn to eat right, be active every day, and be ready to learn.
The Hawaii Action for Healthy Kids Team is supporting schools with the implementation of local wellness policy; promoting a healthy school environment that provides students with nutritious food options and quality daily physical activity.
Our goals for SY 2011-12 are to:
- Inform and involve more parents in supporting wellness in schools.
- Support healthy fundraising options for schools.
- Maintain a list of better choices for foods and beverages consistent with local and national nutrition standards.
- Hold an event that promotes physical activity at school and in the community.
- Recruit active volunteers across the state to help create healthy schools for our children.
There are many opportunities to get involved with Action for Healthy Kids in Hawaii--from becoming a team member, to attending Action for Healthy Kids’ events, to making a financial contribution--you can help create a safer environment for our kids!
If you feel compelled to lend your voice to one of most important issues of our time, and would like to take that first step towards creating a healthier environment for our kids, join the Action for Healthy Kids community by taking the Every Kid Healthy Pledge on the left-hand side of the page.
Resources from Hawaii Action for Healthy Kids
- Are you looking for ways to encourage children to drink water? See the new 2-sided Water Bookmark with recipes to zest up your water and reasons to drink straight from the tap. There are 3 bookmarks per page.
- Healthy Celebrations - party suggestions.
- Healthy Rewards in the Classroom - ways to recognize student acheivement.
- How do you know if a snack food meets the Hawaii DOE Wellness Guidelines? Use this flier to analyze the nutrient content of snack food items and get ideas for healthy snacks.
- Healthy Fundraising Contacts - contact information for non-food fundraising vendors in Hawaii.
- Better Choices for Snack Foods provides a list of food items that meet Hawaii DOE Wellness Guidelines and Institute of Medicine nutrition standards. Let us know if you have something that should be added to this list!
- Hawaii DOE Wellness Guidelines Nutrition Standards All food and beverage items sold or served to students at school or at school sponsored functions must meet the Nutrition Standards.