Ohio Action for Healthy Kids
Welcome to the Ohio Team
Ohio Action for Healthy Kids addresses childhood undernourishment and obesity prevention to help kids learn to eat healthy and be active every day. Schools can positively impact our children’s nutrition and physical activity by providing opportunities to promote healthy eating and active living.
Ohio Action for Healthy Kids mission is to activate individuals, schools and communities to advance nutrition and physical activity policies and programs that lead to better health and academic success through the following…
- Communications–share what’s working and how to get involved
- Resources–provide tools and materials to support the effort
- Advocacy–help individuals find their voice to make change
Our state, regional and local teams partner with families, community members, professionals and business to support schools in this effort.
- Increase the number of students and schools participating in school breakfast.
- Ensure that meals offered through all school feeding programs meet federal nutrition standards and 2010 Dietary Guidelines recommendations for more whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and low-fat/non-fat milk and milk products.
- Ensure healthy snacks and foods are provided in vending, school stores, a la carte, and other venues within the school’s control.
- Provide students in pre-kindergarten through grade 12 with behavior-focused nutrition education integrated into the curriculum.
Physical Activity Goals
- Provide all children, from pre-kindergarten through grade 12, with quality daily physical education.
- Provide daily recess periods for elementary school students, featuring time for unstructured, supervised active play.
- Provide health education and physical education that help students develop knowledge, attitudes, skills and behaviors to adopt, maintain and enjoy healthy eating habits and physically active lifestyles.
- Ensure school wellness policies have a clear direction to support healthy nutrition and physical activity at school.
Each year we develop state and regional action plans to accomplish our goals.
You can make a difference. Consider getting involved whether you commit 1 or 30 hours a month. For more information go to http://www.ohioactionforhealthykids.org
Ohio Zone Teams